Monday, April 16, 2007

Wrasslin'

It's funny that the last post I talked a lot about working knee-on-belly and choking people out with their gi, because that's exactly what we worked on at Axis on Friday. It's a little bit hard to understand, but I was able to retain it and go over it again today during our local rollage session. Now, as with all moves that I've absorbed, I just have to recall it when the time is right. That seems like a big issue when learning moves -- how many moves can you keep at the "tip of your tongue" to bust out whenever the opportunity shows itself? I think that's where a gameplan comes in -- a gameplan involving strings of "go-to moves" and transitions that can build momentum and if unsuccessful, can still give you a dominant position.

My rolls at Axis were good -- went against Simon, a British bluebelt that started about the same time as I did. He trains a lot of muy-thai and is in really good shape, and just a good all around "bloke". I never felt in danger of being submitted, and we reversed each other a lot and switched dominant positions a lot. Excellent workout. After that I rolled with Phil, which is always a nightmare, then with a 12 year old orange belt. That's fun just because I can "give a little back" and help him out a bit while also working positions and some subs without using an ounce of strength. I ended it off with Henry which is always a learning experience.

Today during local rollage, Henry and I worked a lot of standup and it was awesome. He's waaay better than me but it was definitely good good good training. We worked some judo techniques and some double legs. After working takedowns, I rolled with a guy who'd never done BJJ before, but he had a lot of mat sense from wrestling (Henry and I were both a little surprised) and I was a little disappointed that I couldn't do more. That's aiiight though. I still don't really like rolling with spastic new folks because I don't want to get slammed. It seems like whenever I remind them "Hey, we're all friends here," they always come back with something like "Well I'm used to playin' dirty and bangin'" or something like that. I always try to explain to them, "Everyone can pull dirty shit, and if you're new it's best that you don't, because a more experienced person will be able to bring the pain more than you." This always gets a "Yeah but.." ... It's the same argument as "Well if I were in a street fight, blahblahblah". Yeah yeah. I can do it too. Anyone can. But we don't, so just leave it at that. Everyone's a toughguy I guess.

Anyway, it was a good time. More later.

PS: Does TUF 5 seem like a meathead high? It's pretty embarrassing how some of those guys are conducting themselves.

4 comments:

Paul said...

Here's a good thread on the NHB forum hosted by Andy Wang, one of the competitors on TUF 5. He hasn't really been featured -- maybe cuz he's quiet and doesnt act like a jaggoff. I havent really watched it enough to pick a winner, but I felt bad for the former marine that fought tonight. Even during the buildup I got butterflies for the poor guy. hehe

Anonymous said...

I think all the guys on TUF 5 have severe "little guy" syndrome. It's mildly entertaining but I think it's bad for the sport. The more they present fighters as out of control hot-head thugs the harder it's going to be to sell MMA to a mainstream audience as a legitimate sport that I can watch for free on NBC in HD.

I like fights like the Pete Sell-Scott Smith fight where the two guys are the best of friends but they still come out and throw it all on the line, because it's a sport not fucking grudge match. Or when Rich Franklin beat Jason McDonald acknowledged him for the tough fighter that he is and then called Anderson Silva into the ring. It could have turned into a WWF sideshow but instead they hugged in the middle of the ring, praised each other's skills and expressed an interest in fighting again because it would make for a great fight. That's what the sport should be in my opinion.

Polish Mutant said...

Paul: I agree, the standup practice is great...it's fun and vital. You may not have a whole lot of "go to" takedowns, but you have a strong grip game and just good balance. I benefit alot from the practice. Rolling with ole boy was frustrating of course, but that's the reality. He'll come around and act right or slip away into the void like all the rest. Either way it was new blood and an important learning point.

One thing I thought about last night...you have a habit of getting a sweep, or 90% there, and instead of leading hips first, you lead torso first and attack before the postiion is confirmed. I see it now... if you mount or take the back, you have to throw the hips into position first, and the rest follows.

And the TUF-5 kids, sad huh? What an opportunity they have, and only a handful seem to appreciate it. I feel bad for BJ because he is a mellow guy but obvoiusly takes training deadly serious. Dana is turning into a ringleader. It seems he likes the spectacle.

Anonymous said...

Did you see the arm triangle choke that Martin Kampman did on Drew McFedries a few weeks ago? I've been using it a lot in the gym and I really like the whole transition.