Thursday, May 3, 2007

What the crap?

In keeping with what I've said a few times about BJJ, you never really know what kind of day you're doing to have.

On Monday, we suited up for some local rollage, and a bunch of people came out. Again, more of the same weird newbie posturing that always happens when people come out. Why are people so insecure about grappling/boxing/whatever? If you don't know how to do it, shut up, listen, and don't worry about it.

I was showing a new guy techniques, and he kept trying to prevent me from doing them. I patiently explained, "OK now, I'm just showing you how to do this, OK? You don't need to resist", to which he responded, "Yeah, but I don't want to just lay here and let you do it like some kind've pussy, because I'm not a pussy."

What the fuck is that? You're not a pussy? Questionable. Goofus? Definitely.

I think Henry and Steve and I should institute a new rule: No egos on the mat. Shut up and learn. I dunno. Fuck.

All in all it was fun showing the new guy stuff, but again I just kind've wanted him to shut up and do what I was telling him to do without hearing his comments. It was cool to have that many people come down, but as always, we'll see how many of them actually stay for the duration! It's hard to get people to stick it out.

Last night was a weird night at Axis. Henry was having crazy eyed Pollack issues, dealing with insecurities that he has no right to have!! Not with that half-guard game. Sheeit. Just one of those nights I guess.

I rolled with this old guy that goes to Axis. He's a blue belt, and judging from how light his blue belt is, he's been there for a while, and judging by how he rolls, he will always be a blue belt. I absolutely hate rolling with this guy. He refuses to engage and if he can, tries to get you in his open guard and just push you away from him with his legs. He did this for about 4 minutes, and I swept him a couple times and used weight and balance to avoid whatever the hell it was he was trying to do, and finally passed into side control. But get this-- as soon as I completely passed his guard, he said "I'm out of gas, I need a break." Fucking weak. So I sat there for a couple minutes while he put his belt on and we re-engaged, and he started doing the same bullshit. So I just got my grips, got one leg in, and sat there looking at him. He sat there looking back. He ain't trying anything. He ain't improving. Another reason I don't like rolling with him is because if he happens to get an arm, he'll attack it like his life depends on it. It's really bizarre and frustrating and irritating. They play all coy and scared, but when they go for something it's like they're trying to kill you. If you do the same thing, they look at you like you're a big roundeye asshole. I think next time I'm just gonna start armdragging the shit out of him and making shit hurt really bad. Damn!!!

Next was Lee, which is always fun, because like I mentioned before, I can do whatever I want. It's good practice. Then I'll show him some stuff, let him try stuff, etc.. Like after I tapped him and we restarted, I just turned around and let him take my back so he could work on it.

Next I rolled with a female blue belt named Miwako, aka Henry's girlfriend. Not really, but it's funny to say. She weighs about 95 lbs, and it's hard to do anything with her and not feel like a jerk. Use any power? Jerk. Use no power and just your weight? Jerk. Get a submission? Jerk. Let her pass to a dominant position? Jerk. The funny thing is she gets really fired up. One night, her sparring consisted of me, Henry, and Christiano. I felt bad for her. The instructor was trying to tell her how to get a sweep on Henry, and she got all pissy and said, "HE'S HEAVY" (OMOI!) in Japanese. Henry looked up and said, "OMOI?!" and I about lost my shit. A few months later an older purple belt refused to roll with Henry (cuz Henry'd been tolling on him), and Henry looked at him and said, "OMOI?" and everyone in the academy started laughing. The purple belt then attacked Henry with a sword for making him lose face.

Just kidding.

Anyway, after Henry's girl was Phil, which is a nightmare as always. I've got nothing for him. Jiujitsu just makes sense for him, and he doesn't really have any explanation for how he does the moves he does or where he learns them. "Oh, I saw it somewhere. That sucks doesn't it?" His approach to rolling is so cruelly pragmatic that I can't help but smiling when he explains situations where he hurts someone. "So and so was complaining that I kept cranking his chin when I went for a RNC. So I told him to move his chin."

Either way, I'm bruised today. Last night I was pretty immobilized, as I have been following the last few rolling sessions. I'm in pretty good shape at the moment, so it's nice that I can push myself like that several times a week and continue to be pretty wiped out by the end of training.

More later・

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Training with small girls is always interesting. We used to have this girl named Jessica who would train with us a lot. It was never clear what we should do with her. At first she liked it because she was training to learn how to defend herself against larger, stronger males who force themselves into her guard. But after awhile it was clear that she just wanted to roll a little bit too. I finally brought my wife at the time in to roll with her and they both loved it.

The funniest thing about training with Jessica is that her chokes were so effective. She had these really skinny forearms that could sneak in under your chin and once they did it was like someone was choking you with a Kali stick. It sucked.

Ok, today we're going to practice the guillotine choke. Who wants to pair up with Jessica? Anyone? Anyone?

Paul said...

hey, thanks for stopping by.

yeah, im never sure what to do. i guess i could ask her, but id feel like a jerk. :) some of the girls are no joke tho -- one girl won the panams for purples in her weightclass, and is pure technique.

either way, im not sure if theyre mad at me for being heavier than them (not a whole lot i can do about that) or because im rolling with kid gloves. either way, i dont give a shit if one of the girls taps me. guys at axis who are smaller than they are tap me all the time. that's the beauty of the sport.